Following up: If you haven’t heard back from a recruiter after submitting your resume, it can be helpful to follow up to reiterate your interest and inquire about the status of your application.
Submitting your resume for a job opportunity is just the first step in the application process. It’s not uncommon to find yourself in a situation where you haven’t heard back from a recruiter. In such cases, it can be incredibly beneficial to follow up.
1. Reinforce Your Interest: Following up reaffirms your interest in the position. It demonstrates your enthusiasm and commitment to the role, which can set you apart from other candidates.
2. Show Initiative: Taking the initiative to follow up indicates your proactive approach to problem-solving and communication skills, qualities many employers value.
3. Gain Clarity: Sometimes, application processes can take longer than expected. By following up, you can gain clarity on the timeline and what to expect next in the hiring process.
4. Address Any Issues: If there were issues with your application or if additional information is needed, following up provides an opportunity to address these matters promptly.
How to Follow Up:
1. Email: Send a polite and concise email to the recruiter or hiring manager who initially received your application. Express your continued interest and ask about the status of your application.
2. Phone Call: If contact information is available, consider making a brief phone call. Be respectful of their time and prepare a short script in advance.
3. LinkedIn: If you’re connected on LinkedIn with the recruiter or hiring manager, you can send a courteous message to inquire about your application status.
Sample Follow-Up Email:
Subject: Follow-Up on [Position Name] Application
Dear [Recruiter’s Name],
I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to follow up on my application for the [Position Name] at [Company Name], which I submitted on [Date]. I remain very interested in the opportunity and would appreciate an update on the status of my application.
Thank you for considering my candidacy, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Remember, while it’s essential to follow up, it’s equally crucial to do so professionally and courteously. Following up is a chance to make a positive impression and demonstrate your dedication to the position.